George I Ruddell                                         Barnard J Lazrath
John Dunbar                                               Chas "Sully" O'Sullivan
Curran "Jack" Jones                                     Robert Gerhardt
Robert E Seipel                                            Stanley O Andrews
Ralph Martin                                                Donald & Mary Green
Warren J Brooks                                           Frank Angier
Albert Anthony                                             Roy Seher
Eugene A Wahl

Col. George I. Ruddell

January 21, 1919 - February 27, 2015

Col. George I. Ruddell USAF (Ret.) 96, was born in Winnipeg Canada on January 21, 1919. He passed away peacefully at the Oregon Vetran's Home in The Dalles, Oregon, on February 27, 2015. George, a long time resident of The Dalles, OR, is survived by his wife Mavis and sons Jeff, Greg and wife Cheryl, and Ken. Two Grand daughters Tiffany and Catlyn, and two Great grand children. He was an outstanding husband, father, and pilot with the United States Air Force.

Bernard J. Lanzrath

Bernard J. (Bernie) Lanzrath was born September 11, 1932 on a farm near Greeley, KS. He was the fifth of Norbert and Rose's children. At age nine, the family moved to Wichita, KS. Bernie graduated from Cathedral High School in 1950 and then went to work for Boeing Aircraft Company.

Bernie entered the U.S. Air Force in 1952, spending time at Ft. Ord, CA, Wichita Falls, TX, Chanute, IL and Amarillo, TX.  He spent 22 months in Japan from May 1954 until February 1956. He married Jo in December 1956 in Wichita, Kansas. They have five children, seven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Bernie passed away on September 28, 2014 from complications of Alzheimer's Disease. He was interred at Miramar National Cemetery, San Diego, CA.

John Dunbar

John Dunbar and son, Stephen

Waltham, PA - Mr. John C. Dunbar, of Waltham, died Monday, December 30, 2013 at the Leland Home in Waltham. He was 94.

John was born in Braddock, Pennsylvania on July 25, 1919, the only child of the late John A. and Gertrude (Holden) Dunbar. He was raised in Braddock and earned his Bachelor's degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of Pittsburgh in 1941. In September of that year he joined the United States Army Air Corps.

Following the outbreak of World War II John was assigned to the 39th Fighter Squadron and following state-side training on the new P-38 'Lightning' he was sent with his unit to the Pacific. Based out of New Guinea he flew one-hundred fifty-one missions with the 39th before returning home to become a training officer.

At the start of the Korean War he was called back to active duty to train other pilots before being discharged two years later as a major at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida.

In 1945 John met the love of his life, Irene L. Murphy of Cambridge, at a USO dance. They were married for sixty-one years until Irene's death on June 3, 2010. In 1953 John and Irene moved to Waltham where they raised their family and had been residents since.

In 1946 John earned his Master's degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and after the war began flying for Pan American Air Lines, then one of the largest airline companies in the world. His career at Pan Am was short lived as he was hired away by MIT's Charles Stark Draper Labs in Cambridge.

Working as a test pilot at Draper Labs he had a front row seat to twentieth century aviation history. His began his piloting career flying bi-planes for the civil air patrol and before its end he'd piloted some of the most sophisticated planes in the world including airliners, bombers, jet fighters and helicopters.

John's work at Draper also brought him into the NASA family where he worked on the Gemini and Apollo space missions as well as projects for the International Space Station and the Space Shuttle program. His work with astronauts was routine and he was proud to have piloted a Chinook helicopter that developed the prototypes for the landing sequencing and propulsion for the 'Eagle'; the Apollo 11 capsule that landed men on the moon for the first time in July, 1969.

He was the rare breed that was able to combine brilliance with humility; a true team player helping to achieve some of the greatest accomplishments of his generation.

At home John was equally busy. He was active with the Boy Scouts, having been an Eagle Scout and longtime Scoutmaster of Troop 265 at Saint Mary's Church in Waltham. He belonged to Saint Mary's Holy Name Society. An accomplished musician, he was also a member of the American Theatre Organ Society and the Reagle Players in Waltham.

He was also long active with the 39th Fighter Squadron Association, attending almost all of the outfit's reunions, including the event held in 2012. John also belonged to the Order of Daedalion, an association of military pilots.

John was also accomplished with a set of tools and used them well. He built and donated the white arbor at Saint Mary's Church and created thousands of woodworking gifts for his children and grandchildren from furniture to toys to doll houses to an exact replica of the White House that had been displayed at the Kennedy Center.

Through it all, and especially in the twilight years, John's devotion to his family was limitless. When Alzheimer's claimed his beloved Irene for the last seven years of her life John never missed a daily visit to be with her and loved her to the end.

As an only child whose mother died when he was just twelve; as a child of the Great Depression; and as a warrior in the sky John never let adversity defeat him. His gift of life, legacy and love will be treasured by the family who mourn his passing but glow with pride at being a part of him.

He leaves his children, John M. 'Mike' Dunbar and his wife, Elizabeth, of Worcester, Charles K. Dunbar and his wife, Sarah, of Milford, New Hampshire, Kathryn A. Hines and her husband, Terence 'Ted', of Waltham, David A. Dunbar and his wife, Barbara, of South Windsor, Connecticut, Lorraine 'Lany' Ciccone and her husband, Paul, of Lexington, Jane E. Edwards and her husband, Jay, of Londonderry, New Hampshire and Stephen W. Dunbar and his wife, Cheryl, of Franklin; his grandchildren, Sean, Kimberly, Megan, Brian, Peter, Tim, Terry, Jeff, Tim, Julie, Lindsey, Kristen, Cassie, Stephanie, Kelly, Jen, Jake, Allison, Matthew, Brian and Sean; his great-grandchildren, Britton, Carinne, Dominic, Hannah, Brooke, Rowan, Jackson, Noah, Donny, Caiden and Connor and several nieces and nephews.

John was also the father of the late Mary Dunbar.

Family and friends will honor and remember John's life by gathering for calling hours in The Joyce Funeral Home, 245 Main Street (Rte. 20), Waltham, on Sunday, January 5th, from 2 to 5 p.m. and again at 9 a.m. on Monday morning before leaving in procession to Saint Mary's Church, 133 School Street, Waltham where his Funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Burial will follow in Grove Hill Cemetery, Waltham.

Memorial donations may be made to the Alzheimer's Association, 480 Pleasant Street, Watertown, MA 0247

Charles "Sully" O'Sullivan

(1915 - 2013)

NOTRE DAME, IN -- Col. Charles P. "Sully" O'Sullivan, 98, World War II ace fighter pilot, missile wing Commander at Little Rock Air Force Base, and Worthen Bank executive, died September 20, 2013. He resided with his wife, Mareelee, in North Little Rock, Arkansas, and most recently in Notre Dame, Indiana.

O'Sullivan (he restored the O' to his name in 1973) was born in Eureka, Illinois on July 31, 1915, to parents Peter Anthony Sullivan and Mary Alice Pifer Sullivan, Washington, Illinois. He had two brothers, Roger Anthony Sullivan and Edward Earl Sullivan. He grew up on a farm and taught school in a one-room school house. He married Mareelee Frances Legel of Roanoke, Illinois, on October 12, 1941. They would later have five sons.

"Sully" graduated from Eureka High School, attended two years at Eureka College and graduated from Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in June, 1950. He was also a graduate of the Air War College, 1955.

O'Sullivan began his aviation career in 1941 by enlisting in the U.S. Army Air Corps prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor. He became a decorated fighter pilot in the air war in the Pacific, including action in the Bismarck Sea Battle. He also became a national news hero and example of determination by surviving a 30-day trek alone out of the jungles of New Guinea following an aerial dog-fight, crash landing and encounters with native headhunters.

On September 20, 1943, while on a New Guinea raid, O'Sullivan's plane was shot up by a Japanese fighter. He eluded the fighter and crash landed in the jungle. He survived a 30-day trek, during which he encountered hostile natives. After a dramatic evening around a campfire, he had a serious altercation with the natives and escaped to continue walking alone through the jungle with little to eat for three more weeks. He finally came upon Australian commandos, who helped him contact his home base. After catching a ride in a small plane, he experienced a second forced landing in the bush before arriving safely at his home airfield, having lost 40 pounds during his trek. 
Fifty years later, in September 1993, O'Sullivan's crashed P-38 fighter plane was discovered in the New Guinea jungle. His World War II story is told in the movie, "Injury Slight, Please Advise."

After the war, he continued his distinguished aviation career nationally and abroad. As the atomic age dawned, he was called to Washington, D.C., where he served as chief of plans for a secret world-wide operation that detected the first atomic detonation by the Soviet Union. In 1956 he was asked to serve for four years as Air Attaché with the U.S. Embassy in Portugal. During that time, he had the opportunity to completely circumnavigate by air the continent of Africa as part of his diplomatic mission.

With the acceleration of the Cold War in 1960, Col. O'Sullivan was assigned to the Strategic Air Command (SAC) and in 1961 began his association with the State of Arkansas as the first Wing Commander of the 308th Strategic Missile Wing at Little Rock Air Force Base, commanding the 18 ICBM missile sites in Arkansas. He retired from the U.S. Air Force in 1969.

His decorations include the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, the Purple Heart, and the Order of Military Merit from the Portuguese government. In 1998, he was inducted into the Arkansas Aviation Hall of Fame.


 Having lived and worked all over the world, he and his family chose Arkansas as their permanent home following his Air Force career. In the ensuing years, he was active in Arkansas civic, aviation and business community activities, including serving 12 years as vice president and division manager of Worthen Bank in Little Rock. 


O'Sullivan was a life member of the Air Force Association, the American Fighter Aces Association, the Daedalian Society of Military Pilots, the P-38 National Association, and the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce. He was a board member of the Arkansas Aerospace Education Center, the Jacksonville Military Museum, past president of the Arkansas State Festival of Arts, and past president of the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA). He was a member of the LRAFB Community Council, the Serra Club of Greater Little Rock, the "Old Goats" Club and Apelo Club, a Knight Commander of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, and received the Alumnus Award of Merit from Eureka College in Illinois.

Mareelee, his beloved wife for 66 years, died in 2007 in Notre Dame, IN at the age of 92. He subsequently lived at Holy Cross Village in Notre Dame, IN.

He and Mareelee considered one of their proudest accomplishments to be the raising of their five sons, all graduates of the University of Notre Dame. The sons include Steven Charles Sullivan (wife, Kathy Huisking), retired Federal Express pilot, Cordova, Tennessee; Peter Kent Sullivan (wife, Mary Jo Yonto), retired Major General in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, South Bend, Indiana; Patrick Dennis O'Sullivan (wife, Eileen Henderson), executive director of the Blue & You Foundation for a Healthier Arkansas, Little Rock, Arkansas; Don Jeffrey O'Sullivan (wife, Kathy King), TV news photographer, Providence, Rhode Island; and Jon David O'Sullivan (wife, Jane Wellin), vice president of PentaVision video production company, South Bend, Indiana

Grandchildren include Todd (deceased) and Bryan Sullivan; Kirk, Katie, Anne and Joe Sullivan; Kelly and Kevin O'Sullivan; Piper O'Sullivan; and Connor, Margaret and Robin O'Sullivan. Great-grandchildren include Milliana Mammolenti, Alexander Sullivan and Sullivan Mammolenti.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, September 24, 2013 in Our Lady of Holy Cross Chapel at Dujarie House, Holy Cross Village, Notre Dame, IN, where family and friends may visit one hour prior to the mass. Cremation will follow.

Memorial contributions may be made to: Todd Sullivan Memorial Scholarship Fund to either: Director of Donor Relations, St. Mary's College, Notre Dame, IN 46556-5001 or Development Donor Services, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556.

Kaniewski Funeral Home, South Bend, IN is handling arrangements.


Lt. Col. (Ret.) Curran "Jack" Jones

Lt. Col. (ret) Curran L. "Jack" Jones was received by our loving Savior, Christ Jesus, on Sunday, November 17, 2013. Jack was born on October 4, 1919 in Columbia, South Carolina to Curran L. and Marie Munckton Jones. He entered Clemson University where he participated in the ROTC and then enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corp as a fighter pilot. He returned after the war to complete his degree in history.

One of the first to arrive in the Pacific at the beginning of WWII with the 39th Fighter Squadron, Jack flew P-39 Aerocobras and P-38 Lightnings out of Port Morsby in New Guinea where his many victories distinguished him as an American Ace. He participated in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea and had the unusual opportunity to meet his former foe, the foremost Japanese Ace, Saburo Satai, years later at the Nimitz Museum in Fredricksburg, Texas. Following the war he was transferred to Europe and had a command in the Berlin Air Lift. He retired in Salado, Texas to launch the Grace Jones dress shop and raise thoroughbred horses.

Jack initiated the Salado Chamber or Commerce, the Salado Art Fair, the first Republican precinct in Holland. He was a founding member of the Bell County Sheriff's Posse, active member of the Salado Lions Club and past president of the Heart of Texas Sons of the American Revolution. He enjoyed tennis, golf, and English riding.

For over 30 years Jack authored "Aviation by C.L. "Jack" Jones," a column in the Kileen Daily Herald and other local papers focusing on men and women pilots in Texas. He also produced a monthly PBS television program, "Skies Oer Texas," in which he interviewed pilots throughout the state.

His perpetual smile and high energy life style will be sorely missed by his wife of 32 years, Joyce Bateman Jones, his daughter Marie Catherine Jones, stepson, Aaron Austin Mullen and wife Jennifer, and grandsons Isaiah and Wyatt.

Please direct memorials to the Central Texas Area Museum, 1 North Main Street, Salado, Texas.

Memorial for Bob Gerhardt
Robert "Bob" Gerhardt took his final flight on January 18, 2013, at the age of 93.  Bob was born in Corona, New York, and lived there until he joined the Army Air Corps in 1941. He trained as a P-51 pilot and served in the Pacific Theatre during World War II. His love of planes and flying continued throughout his life. In his later years, he regaled his family with a variety of anecdotes about his flight experiences.
Bob married Georgina in 1949. They had five children: Christine, Robin (Debbie), Robert, Jr., Laura, and William. Bob continued his career for General Motors Corporation with time in New York, Puerto Rico, Lebanon, England, Greece, and Saudi Arabia.  Bob and Georgi enjoyed sightseeing in many unusual countries during the overseas years including Kenya, Egypt, Syria, Thailand, the  former Yugoslavia, the former Czechoslovakia, and Turkey. After the untimely passing of Georgi, Bob married his second wife, Rita, and moved to Florida. He and Rita lived in Florida for many years and enjoyed the company of many friends who had retired in the area.
Declining health forced both Bob and Rita to move in with children in 2007. Even when his energy was failing, Bob's mind and memory remained sharp and he enjoyed good jokes and good stories. In the end, his body became too frail to house a spirit that remained exuberant. Bob's last internet joke was sent less than 48 hours before his passing.
Bob will be laid to rest next to his first wife, Georgina, at a memorial in June.

Linne Haddock added a note that those who attended the 2012  39th FSA Reunion will remember Bob and his scooter being everywhere so he did not miss a thing! But Bob himself will be missed.

Robert E. Seipel passed away into the loving arms of our Lord on April 4th, 2011.
How do you begin to try to fit 91 years into a 1x2 inch rectangle of space in a newspaper? Well, in this case it starts with "Once upon a time..." a boy was born on January 9, 1920. He was loving, smart, and loyal from the start, obedient and mischievous all in one body. A native of Riverside, California who snuck into the Fox Theatre for the premiere screening of "Gone With the Wind" in his late teens. A boy who quickly became a man when he served his country as a member of the Army Air Corps, 39th Squadron after marrying the love of his life. An eternal love that was blessed from that first shared look, Bob and Janie began their union on January 17, 1942. Their three loving offspring survive, as does Janie, the epitome of a devoted wife and picture of Bob's devotion.
Adult children are Kathy, Robert (Joyce), and Teresa Seipel who are proud beyond words to have had Bob for their father and their friend. His granddaughters Lauren, Lindsey, Brooke, and Carly glow in his shadow of example of what integrity really means. We will miss his strength and also his natural capability of teaching love and acceptance in its highest form. We will love and miss him forever and always.
Graveside services were held on Saturday, April 9, 2011 at Pierce Brothers Crestlawn Memorial Park. The family requested in lieu of flowers or donations that friends simply hug their loved ones, say a kind word to someone who is down, or pay it forward to someone in need.
Lt. Col. Stanley O. Andrews
(1920 - 2012)

Lt. Col. Stanley O. Andrews, beloved husband, father and grandfather, passed away peacefully on September 7, 2012 in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 9, 1920, only child of Harry and Irma Andrews. Stan graduated from Florida Military Academy in 1939. After graduation, he attended St. Petersburg Junior College in Florida, earning an Associates Degree.

     In 1941, he signed up with the Army Air Corps to become a pilot. During WWII Stan was a P-38 Fighter Pilot, earning Ace status while flying battles over New Guinea and in the South Pacific. During his illustrious career as a fighter pilot and Air Force Officer, he earned medals including the Bronze and Silver Stars, the Air Medal and the Distinguished Flying Cross, among others. In May of 1942, he married his childhood sweetheart, Betty Leifeste and recently celebrated 70 years of marriage. Together, they enjoyed the life of a military family while being stationed in various locations including Florida, Texas, Massachusetts and Hawaii.


After retirement from the Air Force and Civil Service, he kept his love of planes at the forefront by building and flying remote-controlled aircraft. He also enjoyed being a ham-radio operator, making friends all over the world. He leaves behind to cherish his memory, his wife Betty, daughters Sheryl Sailar (Bud) and Karen Smith, and son Ken Andrews (Donna), seven grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

Lt. Col. Ralph Martin
1916 - 2012

  Lt. Col. (Ret.) Ralph Gilbert Martin, 96, of Shalimar, Fla., passed away at home July 1, 2012.
   Ralph was born in Chicago and grew up in Detroit. He was a graduate of Olivet College and joined the service in 1939, where he became a pilot for the Army Air Force flying P-38s during World War II and served his country for the next 28 years. Ralph retired at Eglin in 1967 and has since been a resident of Shalimar.
   Ralph traveled the world and had a love for people and life. He always had a smile on his face and had a kind word for all. He loved sports, but especially golf. Ralph was a technical advisor for the film, "Towards the Unknown," filmed at Edwards Air Force Base and was instrumental in bringing the F-105s to Eglin AFB. He was a long-time member of theRotary Club, Chamber of Commerce, as well as numerous other associations.
   Ralph, one of three brothers, is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Jane; brother, Allen; sister-in-law, Ina, wife of brother, Howard (deceased); and children, Roger and wife, Jeanne Miller and Linda and husband Jimmy Bailey and Steven. His grandchildren include Kimberly Martin and husband, Paul, Bret Bailey and wife, Jessica, and Clint Bailey; and great-grandchild, Colt Bailey.
   The family would like to extend a special thank you to Rosa and Monica who provided endless hours of loving care, and Emerald Coast Hospice.
   Funeral services were conducted on Thursday, July 5, at 11 a.m. at McLaughlin Mortuary, 17 Chestnut Ave., Fort Walton Beach, Fla. The family received friends one hour prior at the mortuary. Interment followed at Barrancas National Cemetery, Pensacola, Fla., at 2 p.m.
   In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Fort Walton Beach Rotary Club Scholarship Inc., P.O. Box 0892, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32549.

Donald J. Green
August 16, 1916 - May 21, 2012

Former Resident of Hayward, Col. Don Green USAF, Ret., 95, passed away peacefully on May 21, 2012, at Riverside Regional Medical Center following a stroke.  He was born on August 16, 1916, in Missoula, Montana to James Green and Elizabeth Green. He attended Creighton Preparatory Academy in Omaha, Nebraska. Thereafter, Don enrolled in Washburn University in Topeka, KS. In 1940, Don left college to attend flight school. He was commissioned as a lieutenant in the Army Air Corps. During World War II he became an ace fighter pilot, flying combat missions in both the European and Pacific theaters. He was the squadron commander of his P-38 flying unit. By age 26, Don had flown countless combat missions. He was shot down twice during air battles in the Pacific Theatre. During the war he attained the rank of Major and earned numerous combat awards including the Silver Star with One Oak Leaf Cluster, the Distinguished Flying Cross, The Air Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with Four Clusters, the Polish Combat Medal and the Purple Heart.

After the War, Don returned to Washburn to finish his degree. There he met and married the love of his life, Mary Campbell Green. In 1960, while still serving in the Air Force, Don received his MBA from Ohio State University. In 1963, after 24 years of military service and achieving the rank of Colonel, Don retired from the Air Force.

He moved with his family to the San Francisco Bay area. He embarked upon his next career as a professor and lecturer at Chabot Community College in Hayward, where he eventually became the Dean of the Business Department. He also served as a professor in business with the California State University system. Don retired from teaching in 1980, and moved with his wife Mary to Truckee, CA. However, even in retirement, Don continued his quest for knowledge. In 1986, at age 70 he obtained his PhD in Business Administration. At age 92, in 2008 he received a law degree. While at his home at Air Force Village West, Don continued to read about, take courses and teach on subjects ranging from economics, computer science, photography and the Catholic religion.

Don was an exceptionally gifted athlete. At Creighton he played on the varsity football, basketball and baseball teams, and was the Nebraska State Tennis Champion. At Washburn, he was a member of the football and tennis teams. In 1988, Don won the National Golden Masters Racquetball Championships at age 72. He learned to snow ski at age 60 and continued to ski 30 to 40 days a year until age 89. Don was an outstanding golfer. At Air Force Village West he played three times a week with his dear friend Lt. General Harry Goldsworthy at the General Old Golf Course. He played a final round only two days before his passing.

Don treasured his Irish roots and his close family relations in Counties Limerick and Dublin, Ireland. He visited Ireland several times. On his last visit at age 90, he received a commendation for his bravery during World War II from the Limerick County Council at a ceremony held in his honor. Don was also a member of the Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick. He enjoyed marching in the San Diego St. Patrick's Day Parade with his son Danny and grandson Patrick.

It was Don's wish that part of his ashes be scattered at the old Celtic cross atop Galteemor, the highest peak in the Galtee Mountains in County Limerick. By far, Don's favorite songs were "Galway Bay," "Danny Boy," and "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling." He loved his Guinness and Jameson Irish Whisky. Don was also a true animal lover. There was always a dog or two in the home, and usually a dog on his lap.

Don is survived by his loving wife of 65 years, Mary, his children, Danny Green (Jana), Patty Green Goodman (Larry) of Castro Valley, CA, and Peggy Green Wilson (Don) of Carson City, NV, his step-daughter, Linda Morgan of Lawrence, KS., and his grandchildren, Capt. Patrick Green, USMC (Stephanie), Katie Green Goodman of Castro Valley and Jonathan and Page Frakes (Ann Marie) of Niles, CA. Don loved his family dearly. A Catholic Mass was held in Don's honor May 25, 2012 at the new Chapel at Air Force Village West, in Riverside. On May 26, 2012 his ashes were interred with full military honors by the Blue Eagles Honor Guard at the Riverside National Cemetery. The family will have a happy, rollicking, music filled Irish wake and Hooley celebrating Don's life upon the return of his grandson Patrick from his current military tour in the Middle East.

                                                                                                                                      -Inside Bay Area

Mary Campbell Green
     Mary  Campbell Green, beloved wife of Col. Don Green, Ret USAF, died Jan 31, 2013, just eight months following the death of her husband.
    She leaves behind her son, Dan Green (Jana), and three daughters; Patty (Larry) Goodman, Peggy (Don) Wilson, and Linda (Bob) Morgan. four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
    A Mass was said on Feb 5th followed the next day by interment with her Don at the Riverside (CA) Memorial Cemetery.
    An Irish hooley was held for both of them on St Patrick's Day weekend in San Diego. Part of Mary and Don's ashes will be taken to Ireland in May by their children.
    Anyone wishing to contact the family or express condolences may write in care of:
        Patty Green Goodman
        5775 Whispering Pine Ct
        Castro Valley, CA 94552

Mary Campbell Green
 Mary  Campbell Green, beloved wife of Col. Don Green, Ret USAF, died Jan 31, 2013, just eight months following the death of her husband.
    She leaves behind her son, Dan Green (Jana), and three daughters; Patty (Larry) Goodman, Peggy (Don) Wilson, and Linda (Bob) Morgan. four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
    A Mass was said on Feb 5th followed the next day by interment with her Don at the Riverside (CA) Memorial Cemetery.
    An Irish hooley was held for both of them on St Patrick's Day weekend in San Diego. Part of Mary and Don's ashes will be taken to Ireland in May by their children.
    Anyone wishing to contact the family or express condolences may write in care of:
        Patty Green Goodman
        5775 Whispering Pine Ct
        Castro Valley, CA 94552
Mary Campbell Green
     Mary  Campbell Green, beloved wife of Col. Don Green, Ret USAF, died Jan 31, 2013, just eight months following the death of her husband.
    She leaves behind her son, Dan Green (Jana), and three daughters; Patty (Larry) Goodman, Peggy (Don) Wilson, and Linda (Bob) Morgan. four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
    A Mass was said on Feb 5th followed the next day by interment with her Don at the Riverside (CA) Memorial Cemetery.
    An Irish hooley was held for both of them on St Patrick's Day weekend in San Diego. Part of Mary and Don's ashes will be taken to Ireland in May by their children.
    Anyone wishing to contact the family or express condolences may write in care of:
        Patty Green Goodman
        5775 Whispering Pine Ct
        Castro Valley, CA 94552
Mary Campbell Green
     Mary  Campbell Green, beloved wife of Col. Don Green, Ret USAF, died Jan 31, 2013, just eight months following the death of her husband.
    She leaves behind her son, Dan Green (Jana), and three daughters; Patty (Larry) Goodman, Peggy (Don) Wilson, and Linda (Bob) Morgan. four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
    A Mass was said on Feb 5th followed the next day by interment with her Don at the Riverside (CA) Memorial Cemetery.
    An Irish hooley was held for both of them on St Patrick's Day weekend in San Diego. Part of Mary and Don's ashes will be taken to Ireland in May by their children.
    Anyone wishing to contact the family or express condolences may write in care of:
        Patty Green Goodman
        5775 Whispering Pine Ct
        Castro Valley, CA 94552
Mary Campbell Green
     Mary  Campbell Green, beloved wife of Col. Don Green, Ret USAF, died Jan 31, 2013, just eight months following the death of her husband.
    She leaves behind her son, Dan Green (Jana), and three daughters; Patty (Larry) Goodman, Peggy (Don) Wilson, and Linda (Bob) Morgan. four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
    A Mass was said on Feb 5th followed the next day by interment with her Don at the Riverside (CA) Memorial Cemetery.
    An Irish hooley was held for both of them on St Patrick's Day weekend in San Diego. Part of Mary and Don's ashes will be taken to Ireland in May by their children.
    Anyone wishing to contact the family or express condolences may write in care of:
        Patty Green Goodman
        5775 Whispering Pine Ct
        Castro Valley, CA 94552

World War II Pilot, Frank Angier, Dies

Frank Angier  (link to Tulsa newspaper article and picture, click on link directly below)
by Tim Stanley, World Staff Writer

Frank Angier could only hope that the missionaries had done their job well. Otherwise, this visit with his new friends and hosts - a group of "reformed" headhunters - would probably be a short one. But the fighter pilot, who had gotten used to things not going as planned, was not the kind to lose his head easily. A member of the Army Air Forces' 39th Fighter Squadron during World War II, Angier had been flying over the Pacific island of New Guinea earlier that day when the engine of his P-39 fighter failed. Just seconds from crashing into a mountain, the pilot had to bail out over the jungle. It was there, hanging by his parachute in a tree, that the locals found him. Formerly a tribe of head-hunting cannibals, the natives recently had converted to Christianity during a visit from missionaries, he learned. If Angier had any doubts, they were soon put to rest: the natives' conversion seemed to be genuine. They even invited him to join them at a prayer meeting. Later, they helped him get back to his base on another part of the island.
The day his engine failed wasn't the first time he'd had to bail out in midair. In fact, just a few days earlier in that summer in 1942, during an engagement over the New Guinea jungle, the plane he was flying had been shot down by Japanese fighters. Angier's parachute deployed successfully. But as he descended, the Japanese tried to pick him out of the air, causing him to swing from side to side to avoid their bullets. Thankfully, one of his fellow fighters swooped in and drew the Japanese fire, allowing Angier to make it to the ground safely. Both times he bailed out and was briefly missing in action, Angier's resourcefulness as an Eagle Scout came in handy. Once, when the rugged terrain wore out his shoes, he used parts of his parachute to make new ones.
Angier, who was awarded a Purple Heart and other decorations, was not shy, but he was private, family members say. He didn't share a lot of details about the war until late in life. In describing his harrowing experiences, "he said he knew he was blessed and that God was keeping him," one of his daughters, Carol Nelson, said.
After the war, Angier made a career of the Air Force. Over his nearly 30 years in the service, he was stationed all over the world, with his wife and children accompanying him. He retired in 1969 from Tinker Air Force Base, where, as commander of the 31st Air Division, he had directed all aerospace defense activities over a 12-state area. Angier remained an active fighter pilot throughout his career, participating in various operations and logging more than 4,500 hours in 31 aircraft. Any suggestion that he was a hero for his World War II service, however, was quickly shrugged off. Nelson said he would just say, "I just did what I needed to do. We all did what we needed to do."
After Angier retired from the military, the family stayed in Oklahoma, and he was executive vice president of the South Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce. He later worked for the First National Bank of Midwest City. A dedicated Rotary Club member with 37 years of perfect attendance, Angier was Rotary's district governor for Oklahoma in 1994. He continued to make every annual 39th Fighter Squadron reunion as long as he was able.
A retired Air Force colonel, Frank E. Angier died Oct. 7. He was 94. A service is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Vondel-Smith South Lakes Funeral Home in Oklahoma City. Burial will follow Monday in Baltimore. A native of Baltimore, Angier moved to Tulsa from Oklahoma City in 2002 and made many friends through the Rotary Club of Southeast Tulsa.
He is survived by a son, Frank Angier Jr.; two daughters, Carol Nelson and Deborah Snow; eight grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.

Albert Anthony (link to article below)

Albert Anthony, 95 


Albert Franklin Anthony, 95, of Venus passed into the arms of the Lord, Friday, Sept. 30, 2011. Service: 2 p.m. Monday at Clayton Kay-Vaughan Funeral Home in Alvarado. Interment will follow in Venus Memorial Park. Visitation: 1 p.m. to service time Monday. He was a World War II veteran and a proud member of the 39th Fighter Squadron.

Roy Seher
(1923 - 2011)

Roy Seher passed away at his home in Hydesville, on Thursday, September 29, 2011. He was born in Fresno, CA to Jacob and Margaret Seher on March 12, 1923. Roy quit high school his senior year to join the Army. He enlisted on December 27, 1941 just 20 days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. 
He felt it was his duty to help defend his country. He was assigned to the Army Air Corps, 39th Fighter Squadron as a crew chief on fighter airplanes. 
He spent the major portion of his enlistment in New Guinea. In his lifetime he held a wide variety of jobs in the timber industry. Also in highway construction, and as a self employed metal fabricator and he had a roadside brush cutting business.
Roy was a volunteer in the Fortuna Fire Dept., Co 4, Hydesville, and a member of the VFW and of the North Coast Vintage Aviation Society. His longtime passion was the 39th Fighter Squadron Assn. He had served as their President, Secretary and Treasurer and volunteer historian. He enjoyed attending the reunions all over the U.S. and reconnecting with his buddies and swapping war stories.
When he mastered e-mail then it became easier to maintain a network of old and dear friends.
Roy was loved and cared for by his wife of 47 years, Pat Robinson Seher, son Brad and wife Kristy and his special granddaughter Aly. He is also survived by his son David and wife Kathy, daughter Pam and son Paul. He is also survived by his grandchildren, Josh and Amanda and great granddaughter Skye. Other survivors are his sister Lilllian and many nieces and nephews along with his special sisters-in-law Madge Seher and Mary Ann Seher.
Roy was predeceased by his mother and father, siblings: Ray, Clara, Eddie, Jake, Walt, Clarence and Floyd, and granddaughter, Brandi.
Roy's family would like to thank his longtime friend Doug Coleman for coming to visit him so regularly. Also, our special thanks to his Hospice care givers: Tracy H, Chris, David and Joanie, you were all here when we needed you. Thanks also to Kristen, Catherine and Carly for venturing out in the middle of the night to care for him.  You are invited to attend graveside services at Ocean View Cemetery in Eureka on Friday, October 7th at 1:00 p.m. There will be a gathering at the Fortuna Fire Hall immediately following the service. In lieu of flowers please make a contribution to Hospice of Humboldt, 2010 Myrtle Ave., Eureka, 95501 or the charity of your choice.
Arrangements are under the direction of Fortuna Mortuary, Fortuna. Please sign the guest book at,  click Obits. 


1916 - 2011

Eugene (Gene) Wahl, 95, of Westlake Village, California suffered a fatal heart attack on November 16, 2011 while walking his dog.


Born in Indianapolis, Indiana on October 19, 1916, Gene graduated from Wabash College in 1940. Soon thereafter he began his 33-year career as an officer in the U.S. Air Force. His initial tour was as a fighter pilot in the Southwest Pacific during World War II, for which he was awarded the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. His later years on active duty extended throughout the Korean and Vietnam Wars until his retirement as a Colonel in 1974.


In 1942, he married Mary Ellen Koch and later became the father of two daughters, Susan and Katherine. His military assignment often required relocation which ranged from the cold of Alaska to the pleasures of Hawaii. During his off-duty hours, Gene was absorbed in supporting the successful competitive swimming careers of his daughters, enjoying bowling, woodworking, and collecting stamps and coins.


Gene retired in Alexandria, VA and later moved to Pacific Grove, CA, the childhood home of his wife. An active member of the Lions Club and Chamber of Commerce, he also found time to attend reunions of the 39th Fighter Squadron until his wife's extended illness demanded his attention as caregiver until her death in 1992.


In 1995, he married Marjorie Carle and relocated to Phoenix, AZ then subsequently to Westlake Village, CA.


He is survived by his wife, Marjorie, his daughters Susan Tomkin of Tryon, NC, Katherine Wahl of Oak Beach, NY, and his grandson Zachary Wahl who is attending graduate school at the University of Alabama.


Colonel Wahl's remains were interred at Arlington National Cemetery on February 13, 2012.

Patriotic Music and Aircraft Flybys
(Click above to hear music & aircraft - A new page will open)

For information about this website, email